Plasma active and contour relationship and repositories

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon May 30 11:21:11 CEST 2011

Hi all,

to follow up on some discussions we had last week, I would like to
propose this git repository reorganization (and reorganization as well
of how the various component are shipped, branded and marketed)

So, basically what we agreed is that doesn't make much sense shipping
two different user interfaces, one called "Plasma Active", one called
"Contour", while instead having the two brands for different things
makes perfect sense, as in plasma active being the umbrella project
and underlinig technology while contour, besides being the techlology
of the recommendation manager, is marketed as the "UX" of plasma
active.

as technical and implementation details, what it would change?

a) there won't be two user interfaces anymore
b) the outer qml files that manages the containments (what shapes the
behaviour of the shell) move to plasma-mobile repo, replacing the
current ones of plasma-tablet
c) the current activity browser can stay in the contour repo as well
the recommendations applet (not important where the current activity
browser ends up, shouldn't have significant hard dependencies in the
end)
d) plasma-tablet plasma-contour executale go away, only a single
executable (called plasma-mobile, plasma-contour, whatever name isn't
really important: isn't user facing) different form factors for
handheld or tablet are managed by a config file
e) in the default tablet setup, some activities will load the applet
strip containment, with the usual collection of widgets layout. some
other containments will load the contour activity browsing, at the
beginning not the default first boot activity, it will become as as
soon as ready for primetime
f) what is now in bindings/mobilecomponents goes in a separate
components repository (we'll have also to decide what would stay there
specific for the mobile case, what can be put in the global
components)

all those changes should be done i think as soon as the curent
activity browser and the recomendation manager reach a minimal state
of working, that should be just 2-3 weeks away.

any comments on both the general marketing, or the implementation details part?