Active/Contour activity browsing

Fania Jöck fania.joeck at basyskom.de
Tue May 10 13:20:32 CEST 2011

Hi,

Am 10.05.2011 09:37, schrieb Sebastian Trüg:
> On 05/09/2011 11:28 PM, Marco Martin wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> let's see what happened recently in the usage of Nepomuk by Plasma Active,
>> also building blocks for one of the main user interface pieces for Contour.
>> (long message but has pictures ;)
>>
>> a central point is using Activities to organize all our resources, being
>> files, contacts or applications, in brief what will be represented by Nepomuk
>> resources.
>>
>> a central piece for wiring up Plasma and Nepomuk is the metadata DataEngine.
>> here is possible to do arbitrary queries to Nepomuk.
>>
>> Today i did a little marathon to rework its api, to permit more easily to use
>> more than one applet connected to the dataengine and track of the queries that
>> can auto update over time.
>>
>> Now each query is a separate dataengine source and a custom DataContainer for
>> each source.
>> this means a separate QueryServiceClient per query, that can keep track of any
>> change.
>>
>> there is now a new source type, called CurrentActivityResources: (followed by
>> the activity id)
>> this lists all the resources associated with the given activity, and this will
>> be used in a view used by default in the center on the Contour activity view.
>> a service is present too to make possible to add/remove associations between
>> activity and resources.
>>
>> a user interface has been done as well, and here it is how it looks right now:
>> http://i.imgur.com/GpmUM.png
>> this is a qml only containment, and uses the common resource delegates
>> developed before/during Tokamak. (for different resource types they will
>> eventually look in a different way)
>>
>> it's still rough, (for instance resource types still have the internal user
>> unfriendly name, like PaginatedTextDocument) but at this point, modulo some
>> bugs i will talk about later, just needs refinements.
> Just a hint here: these still user-unfriendly names need to be fixed in
> shared-desktop-ontologies. I would very much like some help here. Not
> only are there many types to name properly, it is also not easy to
> decide on good names.
 From a concept part we could work together here - what makes sense,
what would be the useful information for the user etc. I started a list
for resource types recently in my UI documentation - for me there is
also the question of clustering types (not technical types, but logical
groups for the user). This is open for discussion...

    *

      Resources can be:

            Files (like PDF, OpenOfficeWriter Documents, Images, html
            sites ...)

            Media (music files mp3, movies flv, games, podcast?)

            Contacs (Peoples name, adress, email adress, chat accounts,
            phone number, etc)

            aplications (any aplications on the device, like Office,
            graphics programs, email clients, media player etc)

            bookmarks? Urls

            locations (adress, name, tag)

            events? = calendar entries

            tasks?

Greetings,
Fania

> Cheers,
> Sebastian
>
>> what is possible to do with those icons?
>> a single click opens it, a press and hold opens a menu:
>> http://i.imgur.com/L8NBx.png
>>
>> the entries present are just a proof of concept for demo purposes, they just
>> show a brief feedback message (they will eventually use the actions provided
>> by the share/like/connect service)
>>
>> one entry that does work is the last: "add to the current activity".
>> tapping on it it will add that resource to the default view (when no query is
>> present)
>>
>> this entry, in the default view becomes instead "remove from current activity"
>>
>> It does actually work, however there are still some bugs.
>> it seems that when a resource is  removed, QueryServiceClient sends
>> entriesRemoved() for all of the associated resources, and is necessary to
>> reset the query and do it again to get the correct results.
>> Sebastian, any ideas?
>>
>> To conclude, a question about the api:
>> right now the add/remove association is done by a service with those two
>> possible operations:
>> it requires to pass both the nepomuk url of the resources and of the activity
>> (means that would even be possible to associate a resource with an activity
>> different from the current one, if there will be a ui for it)
>>
>> a different implementation would be to use kactivityconsumer to figure out the
>> current activity and just let add/remove associations to the current *running*
>> activity.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Marco Martin

Fania Jöck
Interaction Designer

basysKom GmbH
Robert-Bosch-Str.7 | 64293 Darmstadt | Germany
Tel: +49 6151 870589 122 | Fax: +49 6151 3969 736
fania.joeck at basyskom.de | www.basyskom.de

Handelsregister: Darmstadt HRB 9352
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Eva Brucherseifer