New Packages

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon May 2 08:39:46 CEST 2011

On Saturday, April 30, 2011 22:34:55 Sascha Manns wrote:
> i'm maintaining two Packages who are maybe interesting for Active.
> I can give calibre and polka (both packahed and should work with Plasma
> Active.

calibre is a very featureful e-book manager and it does things that no other
F/OSS package (that i was able to find?) can. we use it at our house for the
ebook reader we have :)

my concern with calibre with regards to Active is the user interface: it is
very much designed for a traditional mouse & keyboard approach. what would be
excellent is if there was an alternative UI for calibre that was touch
friendly and provided a greater focus on accessing books already on a device
(i don't think that syncing a book to a device is the most important feature
when the software is already on, say, a tablet device :)

do you have any thoughts/advice on that aspect of calibre?

as for polka, i'm quite interested in that and seeing how we might be able to
integrate a more touch and context friendly contacts view with Active.

in particular, we need a better way to select contacts when wanting to share a
file or other piece of informatin and polka might be very good for that. i
haven't tried it yet on a tablet, but i should try to get around to it.

humru othro a kohnu se