apps: launching/switching/adding to activities

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jun 22 17:28:30 CEST 2011

On Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:52:55 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 June 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> what about still having a single window, but instead of the systray moving,
> progressively uncovering the things under the systray?

i bet that will feel very artificial. what's the purpose of keeping they
system tray at the top of the screen? i have a device here at the house that
drags down the icons when you drag that area of the screen and it feels very
'solid' from a feels-natural perspective. i must be missing something as to
why keeping those particular icon in that particular place at all times is
critical?

> > putting the running windows above the launchers may make more sense from
> > a number of angles:
> >
> > * lets me see if something is already running before launching
> > * since the contents of the launchers may change due to search, it will
> > keep all the content snug and more consistently laid out if the
> > non-changing (window list) is above the changing (launchers)
>
> putting the tasks under the rest was decided at tokamak for a reason:
> peeking trough the task.
> is now possible by dragging just a little bit to uncover just the tasks and
> not the rest to have a small taskbar that doesn't cover the whole screen.

right, i remember that discussion now as well.

well, then let's leave it this way for now and get user feedback on it. e.g.
does anyone end up using it this way...

humru othro a kohnu se