webbrowser and share-like-connect

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Jun 22 12:23:08 CEST 2011

On Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:38:11 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 June 2011, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > Quickie: what does share-like-connect need from the webbrowser side? I
> > assume the URL currently shown, but ...
> >
> > * how do I announce this to SLC? Perhaps an example?
> > * when should it be announced? On startup, whenever the URL changes?
>
> it should already work-ish even tough buggy (also the browser still
> doesn't  publish the mimetype iirc).
>
> since we are there, i was thinking if other kind of data would be useful
> as  well to be published together with the url, like:
> * an human readable name

This could be the page name, we also use this for the window title (since last
night).

I still wonder if the QML variant is "good enough", but I'm not quite sure.
I'll probably have a go at implementing it through libkactivities as Ivan
suggested, that makes it easier to get more metadata in.

> * an icon/thumbnail whatever?

Three possibles:
* favicon of the page: possibly too small
* preview of it (using the preview engine): possibly expensive
* KIcon("internet-web-browser"): not too useful

...or a mixture of those.

> i did a qml component that links to libkactivities and publishes url and
> mimetype (they are two properties of an object that you would create a
> single  instance in the main qml file) from some quick tests seems to be
> already capable of adding/removing bookmarks, rate them  and link them to
> activities

The "publish" to SLC works for me, but having the SLC applet and the rekonq-
active in different windows makes SLC forget about the current URL the moment
I switch to its window, so it doesn't work in this scenario. I guess this
isn't a problem when it's in a panel that cannot have focus?

> that fits also i the evil strategy of integrating  meego tablet apps
> withous  even recompiling them (if they pass enough information into qml,
> would be enough to patch their qml files without even repackaging)

How do you want to patch anything without repackaging?

> as said is still somwehat rather buggy (like it actually works 70% of the
> times) and i have to find out why.

It worked reliably for me, after I had the URL point to the webView's URL,
rather than another string that tries to track it in the QML parts.

> also, the slc applet should be added in the panel in the default setup,
> still  didn't do that, but anyways for it to work a real panel window that
> doesn't grab the focus is needed,  i think my branch with a proper panel
> it's almost ready to merge

Cool :)
--
sebas