apps: launching/switching/adding to activities

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jun 22 09:31:05 CEST 2011

On Thursday, June 16, 2011 23:27:10 Marco Martin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> there is a pretty big area of the ui that has been just flat out ignored
> right now:
> * switching running applications
> * browsing/launching applications
> and, as connected thing, browsing application launchers is the way to
> connect lauchers to the current activity.
>
> at tokamak we already had a design session about all of this, the idea was
> basically to put the window switcher and the launcher in the panel, that can
> be pulled down to reveal the hidden parts.
>
> I gave a try with a slightly different approach:
> instead of pulling the panel (with its icons that would move, and would seem
> strange)

why is that strange? if you pull something down, the things in it follow.
millions of years of evolution have ingrained this expectation into us.

if you go to the app switcher or launcher, chances are you aren't doing that
to interact with the system tray. so it's position is not critical at that
point.

the nice thing about having it all in one place is that it can give everything
a very "solid" feel to the user. the app switcher is just "off the screen" and
"above" the system tray .. opening it and dismissing it is a similarly
symmetrical action.

in terms of "naturalness", assuming that's still part of our goal here in
plasmaland:

* things that spontaneously appear are "magic" and therefore not good
* things that fade in are nomically better due to transition
* things that slide in from a known, anchored location are even better as they
allow one to use pre-existing mental model such as drawers and other
hide/reveal items
* things that connected to a smaller shown bit and pulled out as a part of
those items are probably even better as it uses the even simpler "this is a
single item, i just can't see all of it right now" model

i also don't like how in the example shown it doesn't use the whole screen.
that seems like a waste of space, and on these screens that isn't something we
have a lot of.

> you pull a window *from* the panel:
> http://i.imgur.com/37ESf.png

ok, so aside from the mechanics of show/hide ...

i do like putting launching with switching together. i agree with you that
these are related items and it covers the use case of checking to see if
something is running and if not launching it: "i'll switch to the web browser
.. oh, it isn't open, i must have closed it .. so i'll just launch one."

i'm not sure about the thing (tag cloud?) on the left .. it makes the whole
thing look messy and rather horrible.

putting the running windows above the launchers may make more sense from a
number of angles:

* lets me see if something is already running before launching
* since the contents of the launchers may change due to search, it will keep
all the content snug and more consistently laid out if the non-changing
(window list) is above the changing (launchers)

humru othro a kohnu se