connecting/disconnecting from activities

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jul 27 15:44:52 CEST 2011

On Wednesday, July 27, 2011 13:44:52 Marco Martin wrote:
> now, we have two possible approaches there:until last commit: click on
"activity" the menu slides and shows all theactivities with a checkmark on
what are the connected ones	pros: very fast to connect something to an
arbitrary subset of activity

> cons: more complex, what happens if the activity list will be huuuge?

you scroll. simple enough.

what i would suggest for ordering of the list would be something like:

Current Activity: <name of current>
Alphabetical
List
Of
Others

this makes connecting to the current ativity quick and obvious, while keeping
the other activities available.

> at last commit: just "connect/disconnect from activity"
> pros: very simple and intuitive

it is simpler in terms of "shows less to the user"; i'm not convinced it is
more intuitive, however.

> cons: longer interaction if i want to connect to something else, switch
> to activity, *then* connect

right, probably followed by switching back to the activity i was currently in.

the use case this really fails for is on the desktop where i wish to associate
a window/application with an activity: if i switch activities first, that
window will disappear. which means SLC will simply not be usable at all to
accomplish this use case.

it's also one of the "level 1 priority" use cases for the desktop, since right
now connecting applications to other activities is very arcane.

humru othro a kohnu se