[rekonq] Re: Plasma Active webbrowser

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jul 26 13:30:11 CEST 2011

On Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:02:55 Andrea Diamantini wrote:
> Hi all,I'm here to say I'm sorry I could no more work on this active browser
> port.In fact in all my attempts "against" QML, it seems clear to me I
> cannotreach there any sort of KDE integration, at least the one needed
> forrekonq code (access manager, webpage control, web elements
> access).

if we came to this kind of conclusion within Plasma we'd never get anything
done. :) nearly everything we've done from the start of QGraphicsScene to now
with QML has been at the edge of what seems possible. but we find ways, and
the starting point is to not accept the idea that it can't be done.

there are certainly some things that are constrained in the QML case compared
to all-C++-access. but things like the network access manager are fully within
our grasp: we supply a custom QNAM for all QML plasmoids.

i don't expect everything in rekonq to be implemented in a QML based browser
for touch screens .. that wouldn't make much sense even if it were possible :)
i do think, however, that much more than one might consider possible is
possible. if there is actual interest in working on this, please consider
asking us questions as they arise rather than deciding that they are
insurmountable obstacles.

btw, one thing i'd love to see happen with the QML based browser is to use QML
for a similar feature to the shortcuts that desktop rekonq currently has. in
fact, we already have such a thing that sebas wrote that works very nicely in
plasma. having that available also within the browser itself might make a lot
of sense. in fact, i'd go so far as to suggest that desktop rekonq may wish to
rethink using HTML for those items: while it looks ok right now, it's rather
clunky and the amount of work to make it snazzy and gorgeous in, say, HTML5
will likely be as much work (with likely lower quality results) than doing it
in QML. starting with the QML that sebastian has already written for the web
dashboard for Plasma Active would be an interesting starting point, imho.

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgdnuxcUcWg starting at 2:00 to see what we
currently have there.

these are the kinds of areas that there is likely to be a lot of opportunity
to share efforts and create a reasonable level of continuity and harmony
between the touch and desktop browsers.

if there really is on interest from the rekonq team's side on working on these
kinds of things, then that's that and we'll continue on within Plasma Active
to push things forward to meet our minimal needs. i don't think the results
will be as compelling compared to what is possible with us combining our heads
and hands ....

> Moreover, things are not so shining from (qt)webkit2 side (from my POV)and I
> doubt we are going to move there in a near future.

i honestly don't see what QtWebKit2 has to do with a QtWebKit1 based browser.

humru othro a kohnu se