Something on recommendations

Fania Jöck fania.joeck at basyskom.de
Fri Jul 22 16:59:54 CEST 2011

Hi,

>> today i restyled a bit the recommendations overlay:
>> http://wstaw.org/m/2011/07/20/plasma-desktopaE2212.jpg
Yes, looks really nicer :)

> * there are a lot of icons and bits of text there. would it possible (and make
> sense from a usability perspective) to just show the list of things and then
> when you press on one who the actions for it (causing the entry to expand)?
> this would allow more recommendations to be shown at once and would lower the
> information volume and density.
We are actually aiming to present a short phrase like "add contact John
Smith to the current activity" or "add document.pdf to the current
activity" next to the icon. So the action and the resource name should
be somehow integrated in one phrase.
But this depends actually from nepomuk and an internationalisation
aspect, I already talked with Ivan about it... I guess he is the one,
who can tell us the technical possibilities.

 From a usability perspective I prefer if you can see directly the
action that can be done by touching/activating it, I am no friend of
nesting options into different steps. Also because nobody really gets
what these recommendations are ;) And with only one short phrase per
item I guess its not too confusing for the user to distinguish between
those entries.

But honestly, I have the feeling that a lot more testing is needed to
develop the recommendation UI that the users really understand and that
is going to help them.

Best,
Fania