theme, transparency and highlighting

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jul 19 19:05:44 CEST 2011

On Tuesday, July 19, 2011 18:02:49 Fania Jöck wrote:
> http://share.basyskom.com/contour/UIDesign/highlighting_COntour_1.jpg
> http://share.basyskom.com/contour/UIDesign/highlighting_COntour_2.jpg

hey! you cheated! ;) you used a background with squares: one of my least
favorite wallpapers we shipped, btw, because of the noisyness of it and the
similarity of the key component (squares) to that of things like selection
(sqaures). it isn't just colour that affects the ability to detect selection,
it's ime also shape (though in the common case, color is likely a stronger
indicator). in the case of the wallpaper-of-squares, i doubt any square
selection would jump out.

in any case, if you want to make sure it REALLY stands out, what is likely
needed is a two-colour approach, with the outline being in contrast to the
fill. that way when the fill blends into the background, the outline stands
out and vice versa.

and then we can just as well use the translucent white with a highlight
coloured outline.

in fact, this is precisely what we do in several places in plasma, e.g.
outline in the highlight color (default: blue) around buttons (default:
greyish) and it works nicely on all backgrounds.

humru othro a kohnu se