Fwd: Re: disable 64bit builds on OBS?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Jul 8 14:08:48 CEST 2011

Hey,

On Friday, July 08, 2011 13:11:11 Sascha Manns wrote:
> > there are 64 Bit architectures out that are interesting for plasma
> > active. For example the are some multitouch HP Desktop systems.
> > 64Bit are also intersting for kios system. So plasma active is not
> > limited to tablets, even the WeTab is a 64 bit architecture and
> > could be a testing platform for this. Second, it is always good to
> > compile agains a second architecture to increase QA.
> >
> > Is there any information out how many time we are saving? In general
> > OBS is not the right tool for roundtrip developmet. I feel we are
> > saving less than 1 hour when compiling 64 bit.

Not sure how much time it is saving us for round-trip development, but it
feels like a waste to compile packages (and quite often) that are never used.

OBS' overall turnaround time is of bigger concern to me, it often happens that
a bunch of packages need updating, and if we can cut that in half, everything
will be green quicker.

Also, I have only very rarely seen differences between 64bits builds and
32bits builds, I don't think they really matter for QA. As a sidenote, I'm
compiling and running the whole stack for development on my 64bits laptop, so
we'd catch build problems there already. And then there's of course the ARM
builds, which add another arch.

Overall: IMO not worth the effort until we know that we have actual users for
that arch, but also we might have to keep a chicken-egg situation in mind
("build and they will come", quite literally ;)).

sebas