plasma-mobile and metadata.desktop files

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Jul 8 12:31:36 CEST 2011

Hi,

[Put active at kde.org in CC:]

On Friday, July 08, 2011 10:48:07 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> today i started poking a bit more deeply into the plasma-mobile
> repository.  this is the first in a series of emails as a result :)

I feel some house-cleaning is coming up :-)

> a lot of stuff is written with QML and using Plasma::Packages. awesome :)
> however, the metada.desktop files in the packages are duplicated with the
> "proper" name (e.g. plasma-applet-somethingorother.desktop).
>
> this is messy, error prone and translators will hate us. so i added a
> simple  two line macro to the top level CMakeLists.txt file call
> install_metadata_file. you can now just do:
>
> install_metadata_file(package/metadata.desktop
>                                      plasma-applet-appletstrip.desktop)
>
> and it all magically works without a copy of the .desktop file in the
> source  repo.

I've just recently started to install the metadatafile like that using CMake's
RENAME, which is also easy enough, not sure if we really need a macro here, I
assume it just does the renaming?

> finally, we really need to get away from names like plasma-applet-
> appletstrip.desktop .. they should be universally unique and probably
> should  be more like plasma-applet-org.kde.appletstrip.desktop.

Good style suggestion.

> finally, a question: why are the items in plasma-mobile/containments/
> install  with a plasma-applet-foo.desktop instead of a
> plasma-containment-foo.desktop?

No really good reason, although in the webdashboard case (the other is applet
strip), it can be used as a containment or as an applet.

sebas