Guts of active-settings

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Dec 23 09:44:17 UTC 2011

On Friday, December 23, 2011 09:45:42 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > One question: given that QML is supposed to be the future of Qt based
> > interfaces (with just the QML changing as the form factor changes)
> > perhaps it might be worth looking at how KCModule can be tidied up
> > (considering it is practically untouched since KDE 3 times) to
> > accommodate QWidget and QML based modules (as there is no point in
> > duplicating work, and i'm sure some things will bleed across between
> > Plasma Active and other form factors including the desktop)
>
> configuration may not be one of the things that bleeds across form factors.
>
> i think we're having this discussion a little too early in any case. we're
> still exploring what is needed for device configuration, how to make this
> work  nicely with QML, etc. so we're still essentially gathering,
> iteratively, the requirements.
>
> once we have a better idea, then i think we can try and see what is
> relevant  to KCModule. my concern is that if we do it now, we'll end up
> making the active-settings API fit KCModule's design and API and i just
> don't think we're at the point where we know enough to do that properly.
>
> i'd suggest we look at this again post PA3 which will still be early
> enough  for work in Frameworks on KCModule and by which time we'll have a
> lot more information on what is needed (and not needed) by Active
> settings.

I actually started on this work yesterday. Seems that most of the C++ code can
move out of the setttings app and will go into its own declarative extension
plugin. I'll have to see in more detail what parts exactly, and how they're
exposed, but I hope the end result to be a settings app that is done in pure
QML, a active-settings extension plugin, and embeddable configuration
components for apps.

It's a bit more work than I initially expected, though, but nothing really
earth-shattering.
--
sebas