Plasma-Active pre-installed

Mario Fux kde-ml at unormal.org
Tue Dec 20 16:27:24 UTC 2011

Am Dienstag 20 Dezember 2011, 13.16:58 schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
> Hi Mario,

Morning Sebas

> > Am Freitag 16 Dezember 2011, 11.56:37 schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
> > Be first a quote from some Point of View support guy:
> > "I have found some video demonstrations of the working tablet and it
> > looks very promising." He speaks of course about PA.
>
> Which video? Do keep in mind that there's a big difference between someone
> giving a positive comment about a video, and someone putting the money
> where the mouth is. (This of course means that PoV could just be
> interested in selling a few more devices, without any real support. In any
> case, it is I think a nice opportunity, and we should make sure we use it
> well.

No idea which video. Sorry.

> > > I'd like to know more about it, hoping you can share this information
> > > here.
> > > My basic concerns are quality and Plasma Active's brand value. When
> > > Plasma Active becomes available as a real product, I really want it to
> > > be good. There's a bunch of unknowns for me there, which you might be
> > > able to clear up, or maybe you haven't thought about that in detail,
> > > yet.
> >
> > To make one thing clear at first. The above mentioned Point of View
> > device will be a device targeted to developers which want to play (and
> > hopefully develop for) Plasma Active. It's not intended to be an end
> > user device as I think PA is not yet ready for this.
>
> That supports my concerns actually. Shipping it as developer device doesn't
> should not be an excuse for lack of product management, issues around
> upgrade pathes, driver availability, performance, product quality reall.
> Developers might a a lot *more* critical, as they'd be actively investing
> into the platform. If you're just targeting the core PA community, the
> whole product management shebang doesn't seem worth it.

I see your concerns. And as the official PA2 announcement is history anyways
there is time. Will keep this list informed about my work and as you see it's
not yet done.

> How are you going to make this distinction between "developer device" and
> "end user product" clear? (Communicayion around these issues is really not
> easy.) How do you weigh the importance of the PA brand compared to your
> commercial interest? I think this is a complicated thing to do.

Ok. I see this concerns. And thus try to communicate my ideas and thoughts
even more to you guys. That was the reason for my first mail anyway. I don't
plan to do something behind closed doors.

> > > - Do you create, test and support your own OS images? Is there a
> > > process of
> > > quality control? How do you escalate functional problems? If a product
> > > featuring Plasma Active gets on the market, and these questions haven't
> > > been answered, you'll just nuke brand value and make it very hard to
> > > succeed with Plasma Active in the future -- for anybody.
> >
> > I don't want to see the PA brand nuked as well! I plan to first use or
> > build on the image done afaik by Basyskom. And then hopefully contribute
> > back, patches probably, and other feedback.
>
> Have you talked to those at basysKom who create and finance the creation of
> this image? Just slapping it onto a device is I think not a good idea, you

There was some short contact...

> really want buy-in from those that make it possible in the first place. If
> you haven't yet, I suggest to talk to Eva Brucherseifer about your plans,
> she also has very good insight into PA's brand value.

... but thanks for this hint.

> > So I hope to have answered at least some questions. Don't hesitate to ask
> > back or further questions.
>
> Cheers,

griits
Mario