add youtube application to KDE Plasma Active images

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Dec 2 07:17:49 UTC 2011

On Thursday, December 1, 2011 00:28:17 Robert Riemann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> my KDE application to watch youtube videos using phonon media framework
> matures more and more.
>
> I really would like to see the app beeing integrated in the images.

so, the reason i haven't responded yet to this is that i haven't been able to
get it running. the dependencies on korundum4, smoke, etc. are a bit much to
build casually i'm afraid and i think this bodes ill for mobile targets where
we really want to keep the number of packages and dependency chains down.

i think a youtube player can be quite useful (nice way to get around flash
which is a power hog when visiting youtube, something both apple products and
many android systems do...) but it would be nice to see it written using qml
for the UI and C++ for whatever bits are needed  (if any? video via
qtmultimedia which has a QML component ... maybe just reading command line
args?)

it would perhaps even be nice to see this functionality integrated with
bangarang so we avoid having multiple video players?

humru othro a kohnu se