javascript API for setting up interface defaults

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Aug 31 22:14:46 UTC 2011

Hey,

On Wednesday, August 31, 2011 18:19:46 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> so now that we have a nice way to define which interface (e.g.
> org.kde.active.contour-tablet-homescreen), i'd like to remove the last bit
> if ugly from this and get rid of the rc-file based setup.
>
> i'd like to do a Javascript based API for it, but .. a little different from
> the one in the desktop.
>
> first, Activity will create an actual, real activity ... and hold the
> configuration for the containment as well.
[...]
> any thoughts?

What would be very useful is adding resources to those activities, so we get
some control of what's initially there. If we want to pre-configure the
contour containments, we will also have to do some Nepomuk poking, for example
connecting apps or (demo) files to an activity. This is an issue for the first
start, we'll have an empty Nepomuk database there, and the "data object"
widgets on the containment and purely driven by Nepomuk.

The same might be useful for having Recommendations at first start, and
scripted templates for new activities.

Why not re-use the scripting pieces from workspace? Putting them in a shared
lib for example. (We depend on workspace anyway, so the code is already there.
At least until we introduce an ACTIVE CMake build flag and skip compiling of
these parts.)

sebas