Zanshin on FreeBSD

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Dec 28 20:41:51 UTC 2015

Hello,

On Monday 28 December 2015 20:12:55 Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> I've built Zanshin 0.3-rc1 on FreeBSD 10.1, amd64. It uses clang 3.4. I ran
> into one major compilation issue, which I patched out. That patch is
> attached -- just for reference.It expands the call to std::transform() by
> hand, basically. If I don't do that, I get the following linker error:
>
> /usr/local/poudriere/ports/default/deskutils/zanshin/work/zanshin-0.2.91/src
> /widgets/pageview.cpp: (.text+0x170e): undefined reference to
> `_ZNSt3__18__invokeIRM21QSortFilterProxyModelKF11QModelIndexRKS2_ERPN12Prese
> ntation24ArtifactFilterProxyModelEJS4_EvEEDTcldsdeclsr3std3__1E7forwardIT0_E
> fp0_Efp_spclsr3std3__1E7forwardIT1_Efp1_EEEOT_OSC_DpOSD_'
>
> POVAddict on IRC helped me decode that symbol a little. I have not been able
> to produce a sensible case to reproduce this -- which would help me decide
> what kind of bug this is. Compiling with clang-3.5 causes the compiler to
> core out; Using clang 3.6 compiles without the patch, so I guess it's a
> compiler issue.

That would be my guess as well. Do you have this issue only on this particular
std::transform call? I'd be tempted to propose you to wrap the
"&QSortFilterProxyModel::mapToSource" part in Utils::mem_fn. We had issues
with mem_fn on Mac in the past, that might be something similar and bind in
that case tries to do some of mem_fn job.

> So with those bits out of the way, Zanshin is ready to package on FreeBSD,
> so whenever the final 0.3 release is done, it can be packed up and shipped
> as a port within a few hours.

Excellent!

> Except ..
>
> Well, I've tried using Zanshin. It starts. It has "Inbox" selected. I click
> on "New Item" in the toolbar. A popup shows me to type something and press
> enter. I enter "explain Glenda", and Zanshin crashes. The trace ends like
> this:
>
> #0  0x00000008036952b4 in Akonadi::Entity::Entity ()
>    from /usr/local/lib/libakonadi-kde.so.4
>
> I don't have enough debugging symbols enabled to provide something more
> useful than that right now. Running Zanshin under gdb gets me the same
> crash, although sometimes I need to enter a second item. In any case, the
> item does *not* appear under the inbox.
>
> If, on the other hand, I create a project, select that project, and *then*
> enter a new item, it appears as expected. Under the selected project.
>
> This might be akonadi derpishness. It might be something in Zanshin. Is
> there a good way to track this down?

That's an issue we found in user testing as well. You can workaround that by
selecting a collection as default collection, or you can pull the changes I
pushed just now which contain a fix for that particular issue.

Cheers.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net