[WebKit-devel] KDE MIME Types

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Jan 11 12:22:41 CET 2010

On Thursday 07 January 2010, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> Heyho!
>
>  * is it possible to tell KDE to globally prefer webkit over khtml for all
> supported MIME types?  text/html is only one of the many MIME types where
> khtml and webkitpart are both listed for support.  Going through all MIME-
> Types is somewhat tedious.

I guess this would be a job for yet-another module in `kcmshell4
componentchooser`, although it would be hard to avoid some users being
confused between the "choose a web browser application" and "choose a web
browser engine" configuration modules...

Maybe an alternative would be a menu item in kwebkitpart that sets it as
default, and one to set khtml back as default. That would even be easier to
find, I guess.

> On Wednesday 06 January 2010 19.23:24 Urs Wolfer wrote:
> > I do not know about a global config. Though you can set in
> >  kwebkitpart.desktop the InitialPreference property higher that the kthml
> >  one is (default kwebkit 9, khtml 10 IIRC).
>
> Thanks.  Is my understanding of how KDE's config stuff works correct: as
> long as I haven't manually changed the ordering for a particular MIME Type,
> changing this will be effective

Yes.

> as per next login.

Or even before (technically: next time kbuildsycoca4 runs)

> (I'm actually thinking about doing this by default in the Debian package,
> since if somebody installs the kpart package, he'll probably want to use
>  it, too.)

> > >  * I sometimes see webpages rendered with khtml even though I have
> > > webkit as the preferred viewer for all MIME Types I could find.  One
> > > example is when calling konqueror somefile.html from the cmdline.
> > > (Right now: the pylons 0.9.7 HTML documentation locally built; it has a
> > > http-equiv Content-Type: "text/html; charset=utf8" and claims to be
> > > XHTML 1 (in its <!DOCTYPE>; I don't know what of this is evaluated

Well, just use "kmimetypefinder somefile.html" to find out which mimetype kde
thinks it has. I bet application/xhtml+xml, just edit that mimetype.