[Uml-devel] Todo for stable release

Luis De la Parra lparrab at gmx.net
Sat Oct 19 08:42:25 UTC 2002

> I think development of this project is at the moment very fast. And if we

you bet it is going *very* fast... for work reasons sometimes Im not able to
read my uml-mails for a day or two, and when I get to it, there have been so
many changes that I dont know where to start!

> #622949
> > in activity diagrams you can have a transition from the start point to a
> > fork, but trying to make a transition from a join to the end activity
> > generates a "incorrect use of associaton" error.
>
> What are the UML gurus saying about it?

I am not UML guru, but this seems completly logical to me: -> The activity
is finished when the two threads get to this point (thread.wait)
-->but then again, I submited that bug so maybe I am not being objective =))

> #623399
> > Crash while creating new diagram
>
> This is a real bug. But I don't know how we can fix it because nobody of
> the
> developers seems to be able to reproduce it. Maybe we can use valgrind to
> find the bug, but this would mean to recompile qt without thread support
> and
> I can't download the source at the moment with my bad modem.
> Any ideas?

contact the user and see if he can help us debug it. Thats the advantage of
developing a UML tool -> it is used by programers, so the chances that this
guy can help us are higher, as if we were doing a word processing app =)
we just have to ask him nicely and maybe he can try to trace the bug

> #625050
> > a file, uml.desktop, was created in /usr/share/applnk/Development, but
> no
> > menu entry for the program. I don't know how to use this file in the KDE
> > menu config - any tips would be appreciated.
> >
> > in any event, simply running uml from the /usr/bin directory gives an
> > error message: "xlib:  extension "glx" missing on display ":0.0"

I dont understand the first part. If the .desktop file is created there,
then it should be shown in the menu (Ive noticed sometimes it takes a while for
kicker to realize its there though)
 the only thing I can think of is that the path is wrong... for example that
would not work in suse becaue the path there is /opt/kde3/share.... but I
dont know how its in mandrake

> I think the first part could be fixed by updating the spec files. The
> second
> is a problem with the user's XF86Config file. I think he has no entry for
> glx (opengl I think) in the XF86Config and maybe Qt is compiled with
> opengl
> support or something like this.

maybe something wrong with the users configuratrion, but if we dont use 3d
stuff, we should not have any deppendencies with this.

> So, are there any other known bugs we should have a look on before
> releasing
> the next version?

yes, a big one.
the association get fucked up in the diagram sometimes, you have to scroll
all the way up and down (or right and left) to force a repaint of the whole
diagram, and then they are redrawn ok, but that only for a moment... when you
start working on the diagram again they get screwd again...  (If you guys dont
see this I will send a screen shot so that you see what I mean)

I had a look at the code, and,  IMHO the whole association code is really
really bad.
To begin with, the associatios are between widgets, not between model
objects, which is totally wrong (I wrote a mail about this yesterday but never got
to send it.... when I get to my other computer I will send it)
I started to see how to fix this, but if we want to do it the right way, the
changes would be too much, and I think it would screw other parts of the
program and may be introduce new bugs.

so, if you really want to realse soon,then I guess we weill have to let this
bug live for a while and for the next version we can reimplement the whole
thing the way it should always had been.
what do you think?
As I said, when  I get home I'll send another mail with more details on
this, if you want.

regards,

luis.