Tellico in Flatpak

Cliff Bar klfjoat at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 03:47:06 BST 2023

Hi,

Somewhere I stumbled across the info that you're relatively new to
packaging Tellico via Flatpak. I installed the Flatpak so I can use
the latest version and I have some information on Tellico-as-Flatpak
behavior that you might want to document somewhere.

The xdg-desktop-portal file chooser rightly sandboxes file accesses.
Tellico files that I save/open show (in the Tellico Recent list) that
they're stored in /run/user/$UID/doc/<7 or 8 lowercase hex
chars>/FILENAME

This works great for self-contained Tellico files.

But the file sandboxing means that if I set or change the Tellico
Image Storage Options to "Store images in directory relative to data
file", Flatpak's sandbox disallows the image writes and Tellico throws
errors left and right. It might be helpful if you could detect that
condition (running in Flatpak without an override like below) and fail
gracefully.

I resolved this by using a Flatpak override mechanism to "open up" the
specific directory to Tellico.

    sudo flatpak override org.kde.tellico
--filesystem=/home/$USER/PATH/TO/DIRECTORY

Some people recommend doing Flatpak overrides to the entire home
directory, and Flatpak even has a shortcut for that
(--filesystem=home), but probably not a good idea for an application
to recommend that. You may want to include this as a recommendation
for users.

I didn't choose the "Store images in common application directory"
option, so I don't know where it puts files.

I've also had some other strange behavior. Some I can probably
attribute to KDE not working well with Wayland on Ubuntu, since I have
that issue with Calibre also. But at other times the application
crashes. I have not yet identified a prerequisite or way to reproduce
the crash.

I hope this helps you and future users!