Feature request: Numista lookup by N#

Cliff Bar klfjoat at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 21:12:29 BST 2023

Hi,

Thanks for a great tool. I use it extensively for my book collection. Some
years ago I tried cataloging my currency collection also with Tellico, but
gave up bc I had too many items and manual data entry was getting to be a
problem for me.

I checked in recently and found that Tellico now has a Numista data source.
This is great! However, it seems that the Numista search method Tellico
uses does not use Numista's N#'s. This is a unique number assigned to
everything on Numista.  There are also NN#'s for subtypes.

I have tried repeatedly with multiple different search terms, but I have
yet to be able to use the Numista search in Tellico to find a 2 US Dollar
note. I was able to browse to it on the Numista website. So I have the URL (
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/note201812.html), the N# (N# 201812; also
in the URL), the description... but I cannot get it into Tellico bc
Numista's search is so horrible.  (by the way, the search results seem to
be limited to 20 items)

IDEALLY, I'd hope to be able to use Tellico to do a straight lookup by both
1) URL of the item, which contains type (banknote, coin, exonumia) and N#
in it (this will be important later)
2) The N# or NN# directly

Per the API docs (https://en.numista.com/api/doc/index.php) it seems that
N# lookups are straightforward, you just need to know the type:
https://api.numista.com/api/v3/coins/95420
Because of that, the Tellico Numista search dropdown might need to add
"Coin N#", "Banknote N#", and "Exonumia N#" options.

Can I please get the ability to look up N#s on Numista in Tellico?

Thanks!
Cliff