batch add

Robby Stephenson robby at periapsis.org
Fri Jan 24 02:11:37 GMT 2020

Sorry I didn't get a chance to get back to you sooner.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 9:01 PM Jared <list-tellico at legroom.net> wrote:

> I've successfully updated 8 games this run, with three no matches, and
> then I ran into the above.  Somehow updating not even a dozen games caused
> 360 requests.
>
> Is Tellico maybe doing a search for a match, then also searching for all
> details of all possible matches before it shows you the list of choices?
> That would somewhat explain the long delays and excessive queries.  Is that
> intended behavior?

Yes, that's essentially what's going on. The MobyGames is still one of the
more rudimentary searches and does title searching only at the moment. So
an update request uses the title of the game being updated, then receives
whatever results get sent back in the initial request and then grabs all
the other data to go along with each of those. Then, and only then, is when
it compares the existing game data against every result and decided which
one is the best match and if the match exceeds the threshold to be valid.

360 requests seems like a lot. The default is to request 10 results for
each search, then for each result (which is only a title), the specific
platform data has to be requested and then the cover image is another API
hit. So 8 games would be roughly 8*10*3, at a minimum.

The smart thing to do, and I'll put this on my list, is to cache some info
as well as try to be smarter about the update search. From your earlier
question, I need to figure out if adding the platform name would narrow
down the result list, for example. There's potential for efficiencies, too,
in avoiding unnecessary image downloads (which is probably taking a big
chunk of the time) and change the timing of that request until after the
match is found.