[Tellico-users] sorting and formatting

Robby Stephenson robby at periapsis.org
Sat Nov 7 18:27:05 UTC 2009

Hey,

So with the sorting and formatting needing some work in the next release, I
thought I'd ask about best behavior.

Leaving aside bugs, in Tellico 1.3, title columns were sorting according to
typical english sorting, with the articles like "the" ignored. And it sorted
like that whether or not the auto-formatting was turned on.

Tellico 2.0 had broken formatting, and when I fixed it for 2.1, the sorting
for titles worked as before, but the sorting for names didn't follow the
formatting rules.

What makes it a little tricky is that some data sources provide names with
family name first. So it gets entered that way, whether or not auto-
formatting is turned on.

So my questions are:
1) Would you expect the title sorting to ignore articles like "the" even
when auto-formatting is turned off?
2) After fixing the name formatting, the sorting will follow whether or not
auto-formatting is on, is that what you would expect? Or should it match the
title sorting?
3) Does everything work as you expect it to for other languages?

My inclination is to make the sorting match what is displayed. That is, if
the auto-format is on, then sorting is based on the formatted values. If it
is not on, then sorting is based on whatever was entered, either directly by
the user or from the data source.

That make sense? Comments?

Thanks!