[Tellico-users] KDE3 and secret key

Robby Stephenson robby at periapsis.org
Fri Aug 21 14:44:09 UTC 2009

On Thursday 20 August 2009, cosmodusel-tellico at yahoo.de wrote:
> Am 20.08.2009 15:43, Robby Stephenson schrieb:
> > (...) Right now, just too much to
> > support and since I don't consider Amazon searching an integral part of
> > Tellico, I'll just let it go. :)
>
> Amazon searching might not be an integral part but for me searching
> itself is integral. So I can avoid filling out all the informations by
> hand. ;-)
> For german books unfortunately Amazon was the only search that worked
> sufficiently. Maybe I do something wrong!?

So maybe we quibble about my use of "integral" ? :) I realize Amazon is the
most useful and most widely used search provider. I just mean, if it went
away tomorrow, it wouldn't mean that Tellico is useless for me. :) And
remember, that's why I wrote Tellico in the first place, to be useful to me.
:) But I get your point, there aren't many other useful providers,
especially for things other than books and in lnguages other than English.

> If not, what do you need to add the searches of other websites to
> Tellico? Or could there be a future function to add own searches? Maybe
> by adding the possibility for users to do a test search (after they added
> a book related website url) and than they only need to relate the right
> fields with the results by some clicks?

I've tried that once or twice, basically a generic regexp search for HTML
scraping. Never made much progress. One thing I will say is that GCstar
seems to have many more website providers, and Tellico can use GCstar to do
its searching, if you have it installed.