The speedy commit of patches...

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Sat Jun 9 02:05:47 CEST 2007

On Friday 08 June 2007, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> > No offense, I'm just curious. Is there some priority model on what gets
> > commited quick and what has to have more review?
> >
> > I am asking because some people post patches that wait for months while
> > other patches land within days. [...]
>
> It's not nearly so systematic.  For me there are two things that decide
> things -- (a) if I have time to commit it when I read the mail the first
> time and (b) if I can apply it without first spending some time to make
> sure that it's correct.

And in my case it's basically the same thing, modulo the fact that I have very
little free time day to day due to the fact that I'm in the Navy.

So basically at this point in time I can only review patches for bugs that
are "obvious" with fairly simple fixes.  Anything harder to reproduce or fix
and I don't really have the time to dedicate to it. :(

Of course I concentrate harder on bugs which are crasher/data loss but I deal
only peripherally with taglib so I'm not knowledgably enough to review a lot
of the harder patches.

The fact that the two bugs that were mailed to the list included patches and
an explanation of the problem helped of course, as all I had to do for review
was verify that the problem existed (and made sense from the symptoms of the
bug report), instead of having to determine what the bug was.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne