[rkward-users] Donate to Rkward

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Mar 31 14:08:34 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Thursday 31 March 2011, Alex Ruiz Euler wrote:
> Is there a way to donate that is not via PayPal? I would love to give
> something to the extent that my overstretched grad student paycheck
> allows, but I don't want to do it with PP.

I can totally understand your reluctance to use PayPal. However, at the
moment, it's the only option that our host (sourceforge) supports. Perhaps it
will make sense to provide one more option in the future, but in fact, I
wouldn't know which one to pick. Any recommendations on a payment service that
is
- international / cross currency
- mostly fair
- widely in use?

> Also, some friends and I have had some hypothesis about how you
> pronounce Rkward. Most of them are pretty weird. For example, one claims
> that it is supposed to go with an Australian accent playing on the word
> awkward because most of us users are probably, well, awkward.

Well, as far as the pronounciation goes, that is the "correct" interpretation.
But you shouldn't go looking for any deeper meaning. When I first registered
the project, way back then, I simply did not spend a whole lot of time
thinking about a good name. I stuck to the constraint that the name should
contain the letters R and K. "Ark" and "Kross" were taken, already, and I
didn't think much beyond that. So that's how RKWard ended up with its awkward
name. I guess it's not the name that I would pick today, but I still sort of
like the self-referential aspect of it...

> Another
> has the incredible hypothesis that you actually pronounce it Rkward, but
> that is really awkward too. So... how to pronounce it?

Actually, that pronounciation is totally fine with me, as well. Whatever you
feel is least (or most) awkward.