[rkward-users] possible warning

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Jun 11 09:09:00 UTC 2011

Hi,

thanks for your report about this. However, to me, the lack of the --enable-R-
shlib option was not the only problem at this point:

On Wednesday 08 June 2011, marcantonio wrote:
> -- Using R at /usr/local/bin/R
> -- Looking for R_HOME
> /usr/local/bin/R: line 227: /usr/local/lib/R/etc/ldpaths: No such file
> or directory

Note that this error occurs in the R startup script itself. We try to query it
for the value of R_HOME, but it bails out with an error on line 227, instead.
This also means that you would not have been able to start a regular R session
from the command line, either. Thus, it looks like your R installation was
completely broken (for whatever reason).

> I realized, after some managings, the true option to be used when
> compiling R is
>   ./configure --enable-R-shlib

Indeed, this is needed. If the above step had not failed, cmake would have
proceeded to check for the existence of the shared library, shortly after, and
would have given you a more helpful error message at that point.