[rkward-users] [Help] RE: Cannot install packages from within RKward

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 15 13:10:22 UTC 2010

The following forum message was posted by tfry at http://sourceforge.net/projects/rkward/forums/forum/165574/topic/4014364:

Hi!

Thanks for reporting. Probably some unsuitable version of kdesu gets used at
this point. Unfortunately, several incarnations of kdesu may be present on a
single system: One from KDE3, one from KDE4, and then IIRC Ubuntu ships a custom
version of kdesu in addtion to that (based on kdesu). So to find out what's
going wrong, we need to find out which is used, first.

To do so, could you attempt to install a package in rkward again. Then, when
prompted for the root password, please check your process list (
[code]ps ax | grep "kdesu"[/code]
). Next, please test, which version of kdesu this is, and whether it works for
you at all:
[code][path]/kdesu --version[/code]
[code][path]/kdesu -t echo "test"[/code]
The latter should print 'test' to the console, after prompting for your root
password.

Maybe with that info, we will have a better picture of exactly what goes wrong.