Report of packaging issues with mega release - Qt5/6 translation conflicts

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Jan 29 23:15:45 GMT 2024

El divendres, 26 de gener de 2024, a les 8:53:03 (CET), Fabian Vogt va
escriure:
> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, 25. Januar 2024, 22:18:47 CET schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> > El dissabte, 20 de gener de 2024, a les 17:39:15 (CET), Fabian Vogt va
> >
> > escriure:
> > > Hi,

> > > Is this actually valid?
> >
> > I ran lrelease from Qt5 and Qt6 over the same phonon libphonon_qt.po and
> > they generated exactly bit by bit the same file.
> >
> > Is that not your experience?
>
> That's also what I get from looking at the code.
>
> > > I don't expect that Qt 5 will always be able to read
> > > QM files produced for Qt 6. The other way around is probably not
> > > guaranteed
> > > either.
> >
> > Whether there's a promise or not that this will forever be the same, can't
> > say.
>
> That's the main issue. If Qt 6 gets updated and this is no longer true,

to be honest i'm leaning towards the "it's fine as it is, the potential it may
break with future Qt6 is probably not going to happen and if it happens we can
fix it then"

IMHO We have enough work and things that actually fail right now to worry
about things that may fail in the future.