Report of packaging issues with mega release - Qt5/6 translation conflicts

Fabian Vogt fabian at ritter-vogt.de
Sat Jan 20 16:39:15 GMT 2024

Hi,

Am Freitag, 8. Dezember 2023, 12:56:09 CET schrieb Jonathan Riddell:
> On Fri, 8 Dec 2023 at 10:53, Antonio Rojas <arojas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
> > > - phonon: Qt5/6 versions collide (translations)
> > >
> > > For Phonon and similar cases the translations are shared, why not just
> > package the translations with one of them which you know to be installed?

Is this actually valid? I don't expect that Qt 5 will always be able to read QM
files produced for Qt 6. The other way around is probably not guaranteed
either.

IMO the translations need to contain the Qt version in their path name, either
filename or somewhere in the installation path.

This is also an issue for e.g. kimageannotator:
https://invent.kde.org/graphics/gwenview/-/merge_requests/245#note_851730

Cheers,
Fabian