Collection of packaging notes

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 11:30:01 GMT 2023

On Fri, Nov 10, 2023 at 6:15 AM Christophe Marin <christophe at krop.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On mercredi 1 novembre 2023 11:55:08 CET Christophe Marin wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > With various alpha coming out soon, here are the notes added to my packages
> > when I started packaging snapshots and still present.
> >

> I now merged the frameworks and plasna packages in our openSUSE KDE repo to
> see how the build behave. The frameworks builds went fine, but I can't say the
> same about plasma.
>
> Some background:
> For openSUSE, we want to give users the opportunity to choose when they want to
> migrate to plasma 6. The plasma packages won't be coinstallable, but they will
> coexist for a while.

You're really asking for hard mode, aren't you? :)

> From a packaging pov, we also make use of the CMake config name rather than
> the corresponding -devel package when we need some build dependencies.
> In most cases, the CMake config name will persist, even if the distro package name
> changes or upstream code moves to a different place.
>
> 3 different issues appeared with plasma 6 alpha:
>
> - The CMake config names are identical for certain core libraries:
> KDecoration2, KPipeWire, KScreenLocker, KsysGuard, LayerShellQt, LibKWorkspace,
>  LibTaskManager (and Breeze but it's slightly less problematic)

The versions emitted aren't the same, so you can use version ranges, e.g.:

# kf5 version
BuildRequires: (cmake(KPipeWire) >= 5.26 with cmake(KPipeWire) < 5.27.80)
# kf6 version
BuildRequires: cmake(KPipeWire) >= 5.27.80

> - The CMake config files for DBus interface are not versioned:
> KRunnerAppDBusInterface, KWinDBusInterface, KSMServerDBusInterface,
> ScreenSaverDBusInterface

This should not be a problem since the devel packages shouldn't be
co-installable in any circumstance.

> - The libksysguard  libraries soversion weren't bumped. It's not only a problem for
> building plasma 5 and plasma 6. KSysguard is also an optional dependency
> for kdevelop.

Well, okay, this is an issue. You'll also run into this with KUserFeedback.