KDE Gear and KF6

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Thu Mar 9 16:33:09 GMT 2023

On Tuesday, 7 March 2023 01:05:50 CET Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El dilluns, 6 de març de 2023, a les 17:04:12 (CET), Volker Krause va
>
> escriure:
> > Hi,
> >
> > with Plasma switched to KF6, the question what to do for other modules is
> > coming up as well. Manually released modules have various options there I
> > guess, but for everything covered by the KDE Gear release automation we
> > probably want to standardize the process to not break automation too much,
> > regarding branching at least (for the timeline I expect we need more
> > flexibility).
> >
> > I have seen several scenarios mentioned/discussed so far:
> >
> > (1) The switch to 6 happens within one release cycle. That's the easy case
> > and probably has minimal to no impact on release automation. Unlikely to
> > be
> > relevant for 23.08 already, but probably relevant starting from 23.12.
>
> I don't think this is feasible, we had years of kdelibs4+KF5 releases for
> KDE Applications.

Right, certainly not for all of Gear at once! For individual smaller modules I
do think completing the switch within one cycle is definitely feasible though,
especially when starting from an already existing dual-version state.
Basically option 2a with an extremely short lived kf6 branch.

> > (2) Switching needs more than one cycle. This is more likely to be
> > relevant
> > for 23.08 already.
> >
> > (2a) The migration happens in a separate kf6 branch:
> > - 3 concurrent branches
> > + no impact on the release automation
> > + continuous releases for users
> >
> > (2b) The migration happens in the master branch, additional patch releases
> > are made from the last release branch (ie. instead of e.g. 23.08.0 there
> > would be a 23.04.4)
> > + no change to existing branching patterns for developers
> > - more significant change to release automation
> > + continuous releases for users
> >
> > (2c) Migration in master branch, so further releases
> > + no changes to existing branching patterns
> > + presumably minimal impact to release automation
> > - no bugfix releases for users
> >
> > What are your thoughts on this?
>
> I think 2a worked well on the kf5 migration and should serve us well here
> too.

Leaving aside the orthogonal discussion on whether/when to drop things from
Gear, it seems that is the way to go then.

Thanks,
Volker