Suggestion to Remove KFloppy and hold back K3b

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Wed Feb 22 21:42:01 UTC 2017

Am Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2017, 20:07:09 CET schrieb Wolfgang Bauer:
> Am Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2017, 01:07:42 schrieb Boudhayan Gupta:
> > I really don't see why this has to exist. Anyone who uses floppies in
> > this day and age knows how to use a command line to do a low level
> > format.
>
> Maybe, but using a GUI is more comfortable and you don't have to remember
> which tools and command line options to use... ;-)
>
> The original mail here suggested to drop it because it "doesn't work" (which
> is not completely true).
> And I am willing to work on improving it.
>
> Whether it still "has to exist" is a different topic IMHO, and probably also
> quite subjective.
> I do use it regularly and would be disappointed if it would disappear.
> That's the reason why I stepped up as maintainer a bit over a year ago, and
> invested time and effort to port it to KF5...
>
> My opinion: you don't have to install it if you have no need for it.

I wonder whether it makes sense to make it a more generic format tool that can
also format USB sticks. Then it may make sense to give it a more generic name.

In Debian its not installed by default, but available as package. The kdeutils
metapackage just suggests it. I think thats just fine and as you intend to
maintain it…

Thanks,
--
Martin