Applications 17.12 as LTS release?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Aug 1 07:37:57 UTC 2017

On lundi 31 juillet 2017 17:06:06 CEST Martin Flöser wrote:
> Am 2017-07-31 16:19, schrieb David Faure:
> > On lundi 31 juillet 2017 14:42:34 CEST Luca Beltrame wrote:

> >> One potential "problematic" point I can see is having to deal with 3
> >> branches (master, latest, LTS).

> >> With my distro hat on, it would be a *huge* +1. It would make matters
> >> lot better for the next openSUSE release.
> >
> > I don't think LTS releases are always good for distros.
> >
> > For instance, I just installed OpenSuSE Leap 42.3, and the very bad
> > surprise
> > is the state of printing in KMail (which opens a webbrowser for
> > printing, with
> > inconvenience and bugs on top). Why? Because while KMail is recent
> > (17.04.2),
> > the Qt version in that release is Qt 5.6.2. For no good reason IMHO,
> > just
> > because it was stamped LTS.
> >
> > Before we had LTS Qt releases, this distro (who *just* came out!) would
> > for
> > sure have been using Qt 5.8 instead, leading to a much better user
> > experience
> > with KMail (who didn't just need bugfixes, but also new API to be able
> > to fix
> > printing and focus stealing and many other issues in WebEngine).
>
> That depends on who you ask. If you ask the Plasma team (especially
> those involved with Wayland) they consider 5.8 a broken release without
> any chance of fixing as Qt doesn't do bug fix releases for it.

Right, 5.8 is another mess-up by Qt.
But 5.7 (or 5.9) would have been much better than 5.6 for sure.

Meanwhile I added extra repos (KDE:Qt5, KDE:Frameworks5, KDE:Applications)
and things are much better (KMail compiled with Qt 5.9), it's just sad that
the "LTS" idea brings *worse* user experience than if it didn't exist.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5