The name of Applications 4.14 + 1

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Jul 16 23:19:45 UTC 2014

Hi all, please let's keep future discussion in kde-promo since i think this is
more a promo related thing than anything.

A while ago we decided that 4.14 will be the last KDE 4 Applications release
and that after that we would switch (at least for a while) to application
releases where applications are either kdelibs4 based or KF5 based (on a
tarball/repository level).

Now we need a name for that thing.

 * We can't call it 4.15 since the 4.x in there for everybody means based in
kdelibs4.x

 * We can't call it 5.x since the 5.x in there will make people think all apps
are KF5.x based

 * My suggestion is call it "KDE Applications $YEAR.$MONTH", i.e. if we keep
with the 4 month schedule next release would be "KDE Applications 14.12" and
next-next "KDE Applications 15.04". It has a small problem if we slip the
release from one month to another the name changes, but we just have to plan
all the releases early in the release month so that even if it slips it still
falls inside the month.

 * Another possibility would be "KDE Applications 1", that doesn't have the
problem with the sliping release, but I have to say that I would feel quite
weird calling our next applications release "KDE Applications 1" :D

Anyone has another suggestion?

Do we go with "KDE Applications $YEAR.$MONTH"?