4.10 RC3 tarballs available for packagers

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Jan 17 21:43:27 UTC 2013

El Dijous, 17 de gener de 2013, a les 20:08:04, Martin Graesslin va escriure:
> On Thursday 17 January 2013 18:41:31 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > Besides Jonathan's fix it also contains two other commits because people
> > don't respect tagging freezes.
>
> I would phrase it differently: people don't understand or don't know about
> the freeze when they push.
>
> I have a commit for 4.10 branch and I push it because I want to have it in
> the release. I don't check each time when I do a commit on the release
> schedule when there is a freeze or any other event. Bugfix -> 4.10,
> everything else -> master. It's as simple as that and I don't care for
> more.

There you said it, is not that "you don't understand or don't know" it's that
you do not care.

> If there is a freeze that does not allow commits in a branch it has to be
> done on the git level and not in the hope that people read and remember it.
>
> Side note: I have now been around for five years and still I have no clue
> what the tagging freeze is supposed to be. In the SVN days I thought it's
> the timepoint which determines which commit becomes the release tag, but
> for the git case I have no clue what this freeze should be, especially as
> it is more than a time point.

Tagging freeze means you don't commit stuff in between we create the tarballs
for packagers and we release them for the public, this way if anything needs
to go in the tarballs to fix a compile error (like in this case) only that
goes in.

Of course there's millions of ways to do this (like creating a release branch
for each of the releases) and i might even agree that our current process is
not the best, but let's discuss how to improve it, not simply ignore it.