Packaging scripts for frameworks

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Dec 30 10:33:53 UTC 2013

On Monday 30 December 2013 21:22:38 you wrote:
> Which repository do you need commit access to?
> sysadmin/release-tools I presume?

Yes.

> A full copy of the XZ compressed tarballs, excluding Oxygen is 800mb
> for an entire SC release.
> Any ideas on what Zip compressed archives would take up in terms of space?

Well this isn't about the full SC release, only about frameworks, for the
convenience of app developers on Windows. End users will use the .exe
installer anyway.

At the moment that's 20 MB, it will grow a bit with the stuff from pimlibs and
games, but not that much.

(*.tar.xz = 12M, *.zip = 20M, I see why we don't use zip by default)

> I do know that there are quite a few decent archiver programs for
> Windows which do support tar and friends - so not sure if this is too
> much of an obstacle.

tar.gz and tar.bz2 yes, but I suspect tar.xz narrows it a bit more.
Anyway with zip you don't even have to install anything.