adding kwebkitpart to KDE SC

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Mar 27 14:35:37 UTC 2012

On Sunday 25 March 2012 23:40:28 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Diumenge, 25 de març de 2012, a les 23:29:14, David Faure va escriure:

> > > Why not treat kwebkitpart exactly like we do konsole?
> > > konsole lives in its own repo outside of kde-baseapps, but is
> > > conceptually
> > > part of kde-baseapps.
> >
> > That would be perfect, indeed.
> >
> > > Todo:
> > > 1) In the projects.kde.org database, we would need to make kwebkitpart a
> > > child of kde-baseapps.
> >
> > Who can do that? Do I need to file a sysadmin request, maybe?
>
> Well, we'd need some discussion first, as if we really want that, should we?
> At least agreement from the kde-baseapps maintainer? That according to
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Release_Team is... noone. Great stuff :-)
>
> I'll go back to my cave now.

LOL.

Well, it was discussed between the kwebkitpart maintainer (Dawit) and the
konqueror maintainer (me). If this was still the cvs or svn days, I would have
imported kwebkitpart into the konqueror subdir, and it would be done already.
With git I see value in keep the repo separate, hence the discussion here.

But I'm not sure which big debate you want around this -- it's the practical
solution from a technical point of view, to prevent lots of ugly "ifdef
KDE_VERSION..." when adding new integration stuff to all of kdelibs/kparts,
khtml, kwebkitpart and konqueror. By releasing it all together, we don't have
to always add ifdefs and fallbacks for older versions of kdelibs.