Request for delaying 4.8.4 request

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Mon Jun 4 20:56:53 UTC 2012

On Monday, June 04, 2012 10:37:52 PM Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Saturday 02 June 2012, Alex Fiestas wrote:
> > I think I fixed fstab support for solid, the patch is pending review:
> > https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/105132/
> >
> > Being 4.8.4 the last stable release (at least according to the release
> > schedule) it will be very sad if we release it without this fixed.
> >
> > Thanks for taking this into consideration.
>
> Hi Alex,
>
> could you explain to me why fstab support is important? Is that for systems
> that do not use udisk/udev and the like?
It is important for anyone with cifs/nfs mounts, they won't show up unless
fstab backend is working.

> The first part of the comment for the patch says "it never worked for me",
> which means this is not a regression fix. is that correct?
It never worked for me, I can't say if it worked for others. Since I trust
Bensi I guess there was a regression at some point because if not we would had
a useless backend for years.

> Also,is there an active reviewer for the patch? unless we're sure this patch
> can't make things worse I'm not very much in favor of picking it up so far.
I'm waiting until Bensi reviews it on reviewboard, it is simple enough to
review it in 5min so I don't think review is in "process".

Not including this patch will mean not having fstab support until 4.9 (since
we won't have 4.8.5). I'm fine with it, I will tell distros to patch if they
are interested though.

Oh, also the patch fix a crash by avoid hitting an ASSERT, I was actually
fixing that on the first place.