Why are 4.8.80 packages already out in the wild?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Jun 3 22:26:29 UTC 2012

On Sunday 03 June 2012, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> I know, and that's an abuse of the privilege we give them having the
> packages before the release.

How does it hurt to have unreleased packages in an unreleased Fedora? We are
NOT pushing packages of a new release to Fedora releases (not even their
updates-testing repositories, let alone the stable updates) before the official
announcement (and in this case, it's a beta release, so it will not go to the
releases at all, builds for stable Fedora releases will only be available in
the unofficial kde-unstable repository, if and as they are ready). We also
ALWAYS respin the packages when tarballs are respun, to make sure our users
always get the final tarballs (even when the changes do not affect us or have
already been applied as patches).

> I'll try to get the release team to define what are the reasons and
> obligations of having the privilege of accessing packages on the ftp server
> before they are released to the broader public.

The reason is obvious: Creating and compiling packages takes time! The
prereleased tarballs are the only way we can release packages anywhere near
the official release day. And even then they're usually only finished a few days
after your announcement, especially for beta releases, where the announcement
has historically always been very quick (This is the first time it takes so
long.). Even now I don't think we will be done with the packages on Monday.
For example, new and newly split packages need to go through package review,
this takes time.

> If you are interested in such a discussion i suggest you to subscribe to
> the release-team list.

Decisions which directly affect packagers MUST also be CCed to kde-packager.
But I CCed release-team on this mail so everyone gets it.

        Kevin Kofler