Release Script (KF5)

Scott Kitterman kde at kitterman.com
Thu Jul 12 19:21:52 UTC 2012

On Thursday, July 12, 2012 07:48:53 PM Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Thursday 12 July 2012 19:43:54 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > So you will have a one-time task to set up the distribution build system
> > create these packages. What I do not understand is why having particular
> > frameworks skip a release would make your work easier.
>
> logic error: s/easier/more difficult/g

The one real world experience we have with this is kdepim.  From my
perspective as a packager the entire transition has been a disaster and
created huge work for us (shortly before our KDE 4.7 based release I was doing
almost commit by commit updates of our packages in the hopes of getting users
something better).  Additionally, there was confusion about what versions of
kdepim/-runtime/pimlibs could be combined in the interim.  There were third
digit updates that only worked with certain KDE SC versions.  It was a mess.

In theory it may not be more work, but so far in practice it's been hugely so.

Scott K