No more release schedules.

Tom Albers toma at kde.org
Thu Jun 9 20:07:33 CEST 2011

----- Original Message -----
> Weren't you the one proposing that subprojects should adopt their own
> git
> workflows? I'm quite puzzled about how problematic this would be.

Since KDE is the community, how can we do a KDE 4.8? And then Platform will call itself 5 if I understood correctly. So how do we call a new release schedule then?

Then there will be a new workflow for kdelibs, with new policies about what to release from which branch. I just don't think one release schedule will fit all modules.

Just like kdepim could not follow the release schedule the last releases, kdebindings have troubles following it now and then, kdevelop followed it now and then and koffice wants to follow it again, I think it's time for more 'freedom' in this area...

> Are you serious that you want to decouple the release of our
> frameworks from
> each other? THat would create a huge mess, extreme amounts of
> overhead, be
> very destructive to our community... This puzzles me as I know how
> much you
> love KDE.

What does my love for KDE have to do with it? I think it's good for KDE to let each module set their freezes on their own, depending on which work flow they will adapt. If we decide it early the module maintainers have time enough to get used to creating the schedule.

I assume Platforms will need several alpha releases to test their work and have different milestones, not being bound to a central schedule will be helpful there.

We can set a preferred release day twice a year, which every module can work to if they like.

> Coordinate? We *create* releases and manage them.

We can still package and release them if you like, that's independent of the schedules.

Best,

Toma
--
Tom Albers