Git transition for kdelibs and kdebase

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Dec 8 19:46:28 CET 2010

On Wednesday, December 8, 2010, Torgny Nyblom wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 09:50:33 -0800
>
> "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, December 8, 2010, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> > > - the 20th December is just before Christmas, some devels will not be
> > > aware of the change (I think most are not aware at all on what's going
> > > on)
> >
> > it needs to be announced, yes; i think Ian wanted to pass it by release
> > team first to be sure everything is ok with release engineering before
> > announcing it to the entire community.
>
> As did I with the KDEPIM repos
> (http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/2010-November/004175.html)
> This was also posted to scm-interest and the pim list. No message has been
> sent to c-d yet but from the impression I've gotten any message about the
> git migration is ignored by the vast majority :(

Many will not respond, but appreciate being told. Especially for shared
modules like kdelibs.

> > kdebase is splitting because it's already 3 modules: runtime, apps and
> > workspace. a good test for this is that the 3 kdebase modules are not
> > allowed to depend on each other at build time and they are packaged as
> > three separate chunks by packagers. kdebase is "special" that way; no
> > other module that i know of is actually multiple modules in one.
>
> kdepim is also a dual module (kdepim and kdepim-runtime).

Ah, is kdepim splitting into two git repositories as well then? Or is it
staying as one due to being the same developers and topic? (Idle curiosity, I
have no opinion / thoughts on which way would be "better".)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se