KDE 4.1 planning

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Tue Jan 8 11:26:14 CET 2008

On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Matt Rogers wrote:

> Why exactly do the distros matter when planning our releases?

It only matters for two reasons:

a) distros live from shipping the newest coolest most stable and best
integrated stuff. if they ship a KDE release that is by the time of the
release already 4 months old, there was likely another distro that did it
before them.

b) distro's need exact time planning. They have to decide months in advance
which version of the software to pick and they have to stick with it and
maintain it for more than 2 years. Upstream projects do not care anymore
about KDE 3.4 for example, it is those distros that missed the 3.5.0 release
that now have to care about it.

It does not matter otherwise. Those are strong reasons, but they're not
deciding factors: Deciding factors are our development focus and wether or
not we can reach worthwhile goals within the proposed timeframe.

We should discuss the goals and the timeframe here.

Greetings,
Dirk