Initial revision of KDE 4.1 schedule available on Techbase

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Wed Feb 13 05:04:51 CET 2008

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 19:01:10 you wrote:
> On Saturday 26 January 2008, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > I've posted a new schedule on
> > http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Schedules/KDE4/4.1_Release_Schedu
> >le that should work as the nearly final release schedule.
> >
> > Feedback is appreciated.
>
> I have a couple of questions:
>
> a) "Binary compatibility is not required". what do you mean by that? you're
> saying that newly added features do not have to be binary compatible?
> you're saying that binary incompatible changes are allowed in kdelibs?

That was something I ripped from the 3.5.x release schedule. It's intent is to
say that BC will not be guaranteed for new API.

> b) Why a hard feature freeze for alpha1, e.g. before any user announced
> release? that doesn't make sense. we should have alpha releases that
> attract user attention and be able to react to the feedback, which often
> means changing or implementing new features. imho the feature freeze
> shouldn't be before beta1 or beta2.

This is, again, something I did based on the 3.5 schedule. We can push the
feature freeze off until later. No problems for me.

> c) Why a message freeze before beta1? bugfixes often require message
> changes.

hehe, ok, so maybe basing my wording on the 3.5.x release schedule wording
wasn't such a good idea. When do you think it would be a good idea to put a
message freeze in place? RC 1? I don't particularly have a preference.

> d) it is still a mis-aligned schedule, however I'm not going to complai too
> loudly about it given that it might slip by one month and then be aligned
> :)
>

> e) I like the no-new-artwork freeze.
>
> Greetings,
> Dirk

Thanks for the feedback. I'll work on making the changes. Should be done by
the end of the week.
--
Matt