KDE 3.5.final? (Was: Release of KDE 3.5.10)

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Aug 21 17:46:29 CEST 2008

On Thursday 21 August 2008 14:24:13 Allen Winter wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 August 2008 11:45:33 Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > To state it more explicit: 3.5.10 is the last KDE 3.5 release. I had to
> > fix two modules to even compile before I could tag it and I have _heavy_
> > doubts about the testing that the branch sees. And the less it's used,
> > the more likely we'll see large changes breaking things for a small group
> > - that would have been served better with leaving everything as it is.
>
> Can we discuss this decision a little?
> Apparently some core devs think we shouldn't put an end to the 3.5 series
> just yet.

Putting an end to KDE 3.5.10 at this point delivers the wrong message to the
public: "We don't care about KDE 3.5 anymore". I'd much rather if we released
another bugfix update every couple of months, I'm sure users would appreciate
it. KDE 3.5 is still widely used, and will be for some time.

If we end 3.5 now, we'll open the door to unofficial ports / forks and clutter
development. Also, there are still small features in the pipeline for 3.5.

I would be willing to help ship 3.5 releases, just like I do with the 4
series.

The big questionmark is "who tests the 3.5 branch?"

--
sebas