Sound help

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Mon Sep 24 22:13:41 CEST 2007

> > > 5. Playing short sound files sometimes only plays the start of the sound
> > > (which can be almost nothing). This is a big problem for notifications.
> > > Some reported that this is a bug in xine-lib, but I have not looked into
> > > the issue.
>
> This is the show-stopper issue for us in games and kde-edu. KTuberling
> can be used to reproduce it if you need a test case. I would like to
> help with Phonon debugging, but I am not sure how my skills could be
> used.

I can use the help of everybody that can install a debug version of xine-lib
(get xine-lib 1.1.8 and build and install with "make debug" and "make
debug-install") and use a debugger.

/me goes and installs kdegames

Either #phonon or IRC or phonon-backends at kde.org

> Also, is
> the avkode backend still in development or in consideration for 4.0, as
> it could potentially solve some xine-lib issues?

The avkode backend is far away from release quality (currently it doesn't even
compile). It needs a lot more work to get the media format support up to par
with xine.

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de