[RFC] Draft Roadmap for KDE 4.0

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 6 23:07:12 CET 2007

On March 6, 2007, Tom Albers wrote:
> asap - kdelibs want to freeze after akademy, app developers before akademy

as someone who touches libs now and again, i'm happy with a freeze before
akademy. coolo too, it seems, and i -think- he occassionally has patches for
kdelibs ;)

> tell me concrete what to change to make everyone happy

the only change i'd suggest is the freeze date 1 month after the announcement.
it's a nice round number; less than a month will (for even purely psych
reasons) receive more pushback imho. so if the announcement went out today,
make the freeze on the 4th of march. perhaps announcing on monday would be
best, which would put the freeze on the 9th.

i won't cry either way, but the above would make me feel the happiest inside.
=)

the message freeze also seems a bit soon. would it be possible to match the
string freeze with the beta freeze? there is so much potential for UI change
with 4.0 (and a lot has already changed) that committing earlier rather than
later might be a bit more difficult than usual.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se