[rekonq] Random Password Generation (for password fields)

andrea diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 22:18:12 UTC 2013

Hi Jonathan,
I'm a bit unsure about this patch. While this surely solves your "special"
case, what about the average user? I let my wife trying it and she couldn't
understand the need for it and how it really woks. Perhaps she is a bit
lower than average ;)
I'd like to hear someone else opinion about.

2013/11/10 Jonathan Verner <jonathan.verner at matfyz.cz>

> Hello,
>
> for some time now, I have been using the pwgen utility to generate
> random passwords for all the different web accounts I register.
> While this works it would be much nicer to have this integrated into
> the browser. So this past Saturday I sat down and implemented a
> proof of concept integration for rekonq (see attached patch).
>
> My implementation adds a "Generate random password" context menu action
> when
> the menu is shown above a password input field. This action
>
>   1. generates a random password of length 20 chars
>   2. fills in the password input field with the password
>   3. iterates over all password fields in the same form
>      and fills them with the password (since registration
>      forms often have a confirm password field)
>   4. copies the password to the clipboard
>
> The generator uses qrand to generate the passwords, which are
> alphanumeric. It
> tries to use /dev/urandom or, if not available, the number of milliseconds
> since 1/1/1970 to seed the random number generator on first use.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Best,
>
> Jonathan Verner

Andrea Diamantini