[rekonq] Concept for the New Tab Page

Anton Kreuzkamp akreuzkamp at web.de
Tue Aug 7 11:12:35 UTC 2012

Hi,
During my vacation the last two weeks, I've thought of a concept for a better
structure of the new tab page. To avoid it to go to /dev/null, like Pierre's
concept unfortunately did, I'd like to get an OK before I start implementing
it.

Instead of invoking actions via reloading the page with a special url (like
about:preview/add), I'd create a Q_INVOKABLE function for each action inside
NewTabPage and expose the NewTabPage object to JS. Then the actions would be
triggered via JS.
Moreover, I'd also do the loading of sections via JS, so I'd make the
favoritesPage(),bookmarksPage(),... -functions Q_INVOKABLEs, too, which means,
we simply have to invoke those functions from within JS and the new section
will be shown. (The section-creating functions themselves need nearly no
change at all.) The newtabpage-class-structure would then look something like
that: http://paste.kde.org/530210/

This concept brings
-slightly better performance (we don't need to always reload the whole page)
-more power (some things, like an icon-selection-dialog, are simply not doable
(sensibly), without the possibility to invoke c++-functions from js) and
-a imo way easier understandable code.

Regards, Anton